Finally we have returned home!

I’m finally home after a month in Virginia! I had to go to court to petition for custody for my nephew Dmitri, which I was granted, and I’m executor for my brother in law so I have about a million things to do to settle his estate.

Dmitri is here with us. He’ll have a few days before we can get him enrolled in school but so far he is doing well in his new home. I am really excited about all the services and help we can get for him in California.

Thanks for all your good thoughts and messages over the past year. Last year at this time I was still reeling from Ric’s terminal cancer diagnosis. I had no idea that in such a short time I would lose my Sister Miriam to pneumonia, my brother in law Ric to cancer, and become primary caregiver and guardian for Dmitri.

He is such a special boy and we are so thankful for everyone who has helped him during this extremely difficult time. Maya is delighted to have him here and chatters non stop about him and how she is going to share her girl toys. Children are a wonderful gift, I’ll give you that.

About Michelle

Knitting Tin Hats since 2004.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Finally we have returned home!

1. Katya says:

Glad to hear he’s settling well with you, it can’t be easy for either of you. Hugs

2. StephCat says:

Glad you’re home! I’m so glad Maya is such a generous soul.

3. Brandi says:

I’m glad you’e made it home and things are starting to settle a bit for you. I know there will still be challenges ahead. You are really a beautiful person Michelle, my thoughts will be with you in the coming months. Bless You.

4. Heidi says:

I love you Michelle, hang in there girlfriend. Dmitri is so blessed to have an Auntie like you.

5. Lynn P says:

I’m glad you’re all settling in well together. I loved hearing about Maya and sharing her girl toys!

6. Lyssa says:

It is amazing how many things have changed since we met! I remember you were just learning to knit, no kids, and still procrastinating big time on that thesis. Welcome home and welcome Dmitri!

7. Deirdre says:

I’m happy to hear that you’re all home and getting settled in. I hope things go well for you from here on out.

8. AlisonH says:

Blessings on you all for taking him in! For me, there’s the contrast of an acquaintance telling me of her nephew’s travails–but for all that she seemed like a nice person, she had no interest in taking the teen in, although he was a good kid; she had no interest in becoming a parent and was letting him go into the foster care system and just assuming that was good enough.

It’s been 20 years, and the memory of it still stings. I have always hoped he came out of everything okay. And so I am hugely grateful to you for taking on the task and doing the right thing–and to your husband for supporting you in that choice. And sweet Maya too!

Comments are closed.