Whipped

There was an Earthquake at 8:40pm last night, centered approximately 25 miles from my house. This is the fifth quake I’ve felt according to my record keeping. This quake was unquestionably the most intense one I’ve experienced, feeling like we (and by we I mean everyone inside plus the house itself) were picked up and shook like a dog. There was a loud rumbling that sounded like a truck or a train, with my ghettofied Earthquake chimes heralding like it was THE END. And stuff fell off of our shelves for the first time.
Boy was I embarrassed to find that it was only 5.0 in magnitude. Sorta makes me feel about this big.
pillbug_journey
Maya was nonplussed. Looking at us quizzically while we stood in the swaying doorway.
maya_portrait
She’s no worse for wear, plotting her next batch of naughtiness.
During the course of my thesis writing I haven’t had much time to dedicate to complicated knitting or designing. So I’ve been working on hand spun, hand knit stockinette scarves.
handspun_sweetgrasswool_burnished_copper
This is my second in the series.
Next up is another using some Funky (almost put a bad word there, must have been all that shaking) Carolina hand spun wool.
funky_carolina_ready_to_knit
Perfect knitting for when your brain turns to liquefied jello.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Whipped

1. mindy says:

You know, I think you’re allowed to be freaked over a 5.0. (looking at the look on Maya’s face, I’d say she could get up to being a 5.0 when she wants to)
    Nice yarns- are you just loving the wheel?

2. Heidi says:

that would be unsettling no matter what the magnitude was.

3. A face that cute could not possibly be plotting naughtiness.
    We didn’t feel that last earthquake. So far, there have been 3 that I’ve been aware of, though none of them made any thing fall or shook us that bad.

4. Heck, I felt the quake all the way down here in San Diego! And it’s OK to be scared by a 5.0 quake–the scale is logarithmic, so it’s 10 times worse than a 4.0!
    At least you have some pretty yarn to play with to calm those nerves. 😉

5. Kath says:

We felt it over here in Avalon even. Shake, rattle, and roll!

6. Carrie K says:

I felt a 3.0 at the office the other day. Evidently it sits right on the Concord fault becauase it was pretty much of a good jolt.
    5.0 is admissible earthquake. Or anytime stuff falls off your shelves.

7. Lene says:

That photo of Maya is breathtaking. Gorgeous.

8. victoria says:

oh boy do I hate earthquakes. The last time I felt an earthquake was 5 years ago the day I was married. it was that earthquake that happened close to Paso Robles and killed two people. yup that earthquake happened right as my husband was saying his vows to me. We are in Bakersfield and still felt it moderately. I thought it was just my nerves at the time and only afterward I realized what happened. We have it on video. lol!!! I told my husband if there ever was an earthquake and I felt it this is what he would see me grabbing the baby and running out the front door. lol

Comments are closed.